Wednesday, October 17, 2012

How To: Yarn Wreath

I found a yarn wreath on Pinterest that I really liked and decided I would make it for my baby girl's nursery to put over her crib. I loved the soft colors and that it's not too bright.


I've never made one before so for starters I looked up a few "how tos" online. The wreath itself seemed simple enough but I had never made felt flowers before. There's so many different kinds of flowers you can make with felt (as you will find when you google how to make felt flowers). I decided to stick to the easier looking ones which happened to be roses, and that's what I needed anyways to copy my "Pinterest inspiration". I bought the list of items I needed at Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Michaels had more felt color options.

You will need the following:
some type of wreath
felt
glue gun
glue sticks
yarn

If you buy the wreath that I did (pictured) I would recommend leaving the plastic on otherwise it gets a little messy.


To start with glue the end of your yarn to the back of the wreath...then start wrapping. This was the hardest part of the whole process because it takes FOREVER to wrap the yarn allllllll the way around the entire wreath. Then your arm starts to hurt from doing the same motion over and over again for hours. Every once in awhile glue down a piece of yarn and then....continue wrapping. 


Yay!!! It's finally complete! I honestly never thought it would happen...(looks like the picture frame I made for my nephew snuck into the photo)


Ok now that the hard part is over it's time to start making the felt flowers.

You start by cutting a spiral circle.


Then you twist it around and glue as you go. You can make the petals bigger or smaller depending on where you glue and how thick you cut the circle. 


Done! I bent a few petals back and glued them down to achieve the look I wanted.


I cut out some green leaves and glued them down first. Then I glued the flowers down. You're done!



Finished wreath over the crib. I put an "A" for Alice in the middle. 






No comments:

Post a Comment